Wednesday, August 09, 2006

1910 Census for West Roxbury

My mothers grandparents lived nearby in West Roxbury, Massachusetts. The Hansons lived in Quincy and would regularly visit with them.

So there I was searching Census Records. You remember that sometimes the research begins by starting the places you already know. You go from the known to the unknown. I all ready knew about my grandmother Beth and her whole family. However I quickly learned of things I did not know. Of course her family in the 1910 Census is listed like this:

  1. Louis H Hamlin - Head
  2. Eva G Hamlin - Wife
  3. Roger C Hamlin - Son
  4. Beth Hamlin - Daughter
  5. Louise Hamlin - Daughter
  6. Harriet D Hamlin - Daughter
  7. Perley C Hamlin - Son
  8. Benjamin W Hamlin - Son


    This was the part that I knew. We know who the children of Louis and Beth from the Autobiography of Eva Hamlin. We also knew the profession of Louis as Jeweler. This was also listed on the census.

    So, I started to record this items, just so I could say that I searched the census. I was writing away, when I found that there were other individuals in the home.

  9. Abbie R Robinson - Sister in-law

    This was great that Eva's sister could live with them for a time. But I kept reading and found:

  10. Kate C Corren - Servant

See for yourself. I have attached these two forms. Just click on them to enlarge them.


Judy never told me that the Hamlin's had a servant. No wonder there were so many children. No wonder that Abbie was staying there. No wonder that Eva was all over the map with different meetings, teaching Shakespeare, and socials, and those trips to Yosemite and Bishop California, and was so involved with politics.







There were still other fascinating things I found searching in all of these census. For example I was not able to locate in the census Louis Hamlin's father Oscar Hamlin. My records show that he died in 1912. But where was he living during the 1900 and 1910 Census? The same goes for his mother? And perhaps the question, why did not Harriet Amanda Hamlin live with here son? [I found a Harriet Hamlin - Mother-in-law living in Augusta Maine]He probably still had one brother living, George Herman Hamlin, where was he living? [Louis survived one brother, Reuben and one sister, Florence]

Other items include: In the 1920 Census the servant is not listed. Why, what happened to the need for a cook? Plus the relationship for everyone was listed as 'border'. How could they be a 'border' in their own home?

In the 1900 Census the occupation of Louis Hamlin is listed as 'Traveling Collector'. Wow, that is interesting. This is also where they only had two children, [Roger - Beth].

Another question that just burns to be asked is: If the Hamlins were so well off, then why did not he assist the family in the crisis in 1939? Of course Louis passed away in November of that year, but something could have been done, don't you think?

Another question that needs to be asked is who was Perley Chamberlain named after? Or I should say who is the first Chamberlain that is is named after? Was it Oscar or Temperance? [Most of the children were named after former family members]

And leave your comments. I would like to know more of things. How about just trying to list all of the personalities that shout for attention in this picture?


Posted by Picasa

No comments: