Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Hello Google Earth



Glacier Point

Well, John was the first to tell me about Google Earth. This is a program that when you look at the map of the world you can zoom in/out pan/left/right, etc. We looked at this yesterday at the City of Orem, and could see the mountains. I rode up Provo canyon, then turned around and flew out to Johns home. It was great.

So then I thought of going to Yosemite. So I chose to sit on top of Glacier point and look at Half dome. This is where you can see Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls. This summer we could hike to both of these.

My brother and I were had Glacier point one time. We were just sitting there enjoying the view. We were tired from our ride. When a family came up to have their picture taken. The father grabbed his infant by the hand and held it over the cliff and said 'OK take the picture.' We sure were supprised.

As I think back upon Yosemite, my father took us there when we were young. I bet the first time we camped there was 1964. I remember having nighmares of falling over the falls. You may remember there is a recording of our visit. It was always a special place to go. Now I wish I went there more often.

Well what do you think of Yosemite?

1 comment:

Gary Hutton said...

Yes I do. One time Duane and I were up at Glacier point. We were just sitting there resting. One father came up and held his childs hand and swong her over the side, and said OK, take the picture.

Another time we hiked in with some ward YA. We were way back in their. some of the girls packed in potatoes. They made a mud mixture and covered the potatoes, then through them into the coals to cook. I was not too sure if I wanted to eat one. Then I was informed that since she packed them in I was going to eat one. I did and it was good.

Another time my grandmother Beth Hanson came with us, and we camped on the valley floor.

The first time was about 1961. We camped by a small stream. We saw a bear. We also saw a neighboring camper eat a whole can of chili, because he did not want the bear to have it. That same night a bear opened up a locked ice chest and helped himself.

That was back when they had a fire falls. Yes up on Glacier Point they started a bond fire. Then when the coals were just right they slowly pushec it over the side of the cliff. It was a great site. But they don't do that any more. It scars the cliff something terrible.

Another time Duane wanted to climb to the top of Half Dome. We left Stockton in the am, arrived at the valley floor at Noon and started hiking. We reached the top of Half Dome as the sun was setting. We then started down. We reached the parking lot at midnight, then drove home. I told Duane it was really important that I attend Church in the morning. I sure he did not understand, but he went along anyway.

Another time we were with several of Duanes college friends. We went up to Tuolome Meadows. It way up higher, and around the corner on another road. It was up there that Dale Borman announced that Jerry Flemming just proposed to her. She accepted. Most of the boys up there were really disapointed.

Then I went up there just before going on my misstion. I met a girl from some place far away. I explained to her I was leaving on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She asked alot of questions. Alot of questions. I explained just about everything I could to her. Then I never saw her again. I don't even remember her name.

Yeah, lots of memories!