Saturday, February 11, 2006

Prayer by Granville A Hutton

Prayer by Granville A. Hutton Sr.

For my children and many others

while sick in hospital Feb. 1971.


My Heavenly Father, I pray for my children, their families, and many others. Oh God, I pray you will lead them with truth to that straight gate, and narrow way, which leadeth unto life. (Matt 7:13-14) I pray when they stand before the Judgment bar of Christ (John 5:22) they will hear “well done thou good and faithful servant, let him enter into the presence of the Lord.” It seems it would be a terrible tragedy if you would have to say to any one of them “I never knew you, depart from, ye that work iniquity.” (Matt 7:23) Father help me to not let this happen. I know there will be many discouragements, hardships, temptations, trials, and for some tribulation. I pray you will help them to have faith and look up to thee for help and you will help them over come all evils that come their way. (Gen 17:8) We wonder why you had to take Myrtle away but we hold nothing against thee because you knew best. Please help us to bear the burden of sorrow and loveliness and help us to so live that we will be worthy to be with Myrtle again.


Father help us to have faith, courage, give us strength, understanding, and wisdom, that we can forget the evil things of this life and think of the good things that God has in store for us.


I pray for the truth to be taught in the Churches of our community, help men, women, and children to bring fruit meet for repentance, (Matt 3:8-10) so they can find the way to their Savior and have eternal life, and exaltation in the celestial kingdom. (1 Cor 15:40-42) I cling to: “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For everyone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened”, (Matt 7:7-8) also: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heaven layden, and I will give you rest.” (Matt 11:28)


I thank thee for all the blessings and good things you send our way. I pray tonight you will forgive us of our sins and shortcomings and help us to live closer to our savior’s example, everyday of our lives, as we try harder to do Gods will. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. (Col 3:17, I Cor 10:31)


Read at my funeral if you like.


(My grandfather Hutton sure understood a great deal -- Gary Hutton)

1 comment:

Gary Hutton said...

Sarah, you of course never met my grandfather Hutton.

One time after my mission I went to visit. Aunt Burnetta said we were going to the rest home to visit Granville.

I had a great visit. He asked what kind of things I was involved with. I explained about my mission to Oklahoma. He asked if I had baptized many congragations. I explained that there we several people that were baptized because of my efforts (I remember about 30)

There does appear to be a deep religious thread in the Hutton family. His fathers name was Jeremiah and his fathers name was Amos. These were two names of Old Testament prophets. They must have asked about who they were and what was their message was.

My experience is that when you get to the end of this life you begin to experince in more eternal things. You reflect on a life time of experiences and wonder what it all means. Perhaps this is the 'hearts turning of the children turning to the fathers' and the 'blessings of the fathers comming to pass upon the children'.

If I have the blessings of Joseph then I received them from Granville as well.