Thursday, February 23, 2006

Pass the cheese please

I spoke to Howie at work the other day. He said he used to play basketball at Orem High. This must have been 25 years ago. He said he played with Chessman. He was a good player. Howie said he use to yell out 'Cheese Man' when they both were at Orem High School 25 years ago. Of course Chessman did not like it, but Howie yelled it any way.

I told him of my experience at a BYU came where Sarah was playing Dec 31, 2004. There was Chessman, the girl that Sarah had played against for the last 5/6 years. Both were capable players, both knew each others strengths and weeknesses. The coach wanted Sarah to play a certain way. Sarah knew it did not make much sense to do this, so she guarded her the same old way.

Then there was the fans. I was one of them. I never called her any names before, but this game it just came out. 'Cheese Man'. I saw her on the monitor, during a freethrow, 'Cheese Man', she would cringe. I yelled it again, and again.

I think BYU was a better team. However this was the game SUU won, with the last second shot by Sarah. Some of my neighbors still remember how loud I was, and excited that they finally won a game against BYU. They did not know who they should cheer for BYU or SUU.
But I cheered and cheered and cheered. I also yelled 'Cheese Man'. The fans really made a difference in that game.

The next year we played at BYU again, but it just was not the same. And BYU played a better game.

And what about Howie. Well today he still yells out names at people. Today he yells at me 'Hey Green Weenie'. This is because I have a new green hard hat. And I don't like him yelling funny names at me.

No comments: