Monday, March 27, 2006

1971 Year Book

Well, this is how it goes. You know I call my mother every Sunday evening. It is always the last item of the day. Most Sundays I am pretty beat by 9:00 pm., but I call her anyway. You know it really means a lot to her to visit with family.

It started out with how is the weather. She said it was sunny there, but then rained in the afternoon. I wanted to ask her about how the levee's were. How much more do they have to go before running over the top, but never got to it.

Then we got to other topics. She has always wanted to talk about my school friends. She gets to meet them every once in awhile. She tries to find out all the details. Sometimes she delivers a message for me to them. But this is really people that I have not seen since 1971, 35 years ago.

Of course I told her that I have read my Yearbook. Yeah I know it took me 35 years to really sit down and read it. Wow I sure had many great friends. They were all very talented and bright. I wish I could visit with them again someday. I have been told that many turned out like me, all just a little heavier than the high school picture.

Then she said she looks in my year book all the time. I asked her, "How do you do that, since I have it?" She tells me, "I have one." I ask her, "How?" She tells me that she got one from Ernestine Rough. I laugh. This is funny. My mother has a spare year book from 1971, and she reads it all the time.

Go Figure.

3 comments:

Gary Hutton said...

I also just remembered that she said that my Uncle Alvin Langendoerfer, passed away last week. He was about 85 years old.

Hut, was his best man at the wedding. It was December 1947.

When my father got married in April 1948, Alvin purchased a new black Mercury, and asked my father to drive it home.

The story gets a little fuzzy her. Judy says this is when she drove a car for the first time.

Hut said, when she drove a car for the first time, and would pass another car, she would get herself around the other car then try to cut back in. My father had to help her to get the whole car past the vehicle before cutting back in.

Ha Ha.

Paul said...

Should we ask Nana about that?

Gary Hutton said...

Yes, lets see what she has to say.