Monday, March 06, 2006

Your Names

I found a scripture that talks about your names and why I gave them to you.

Basically it goes like this: I would that you should do well and keep the commandments. And I have given you the names of family members. And when you learn of the things which they have done, I would encourage you do do the same. Since they have done good, you should do good.

John Jeremiah Hutton, was given the name of his Grandfather Nelson and his great great grandfather Jeremiah Hutton.

Paul was given the name of his great grandfather Nelson, and my grandfather Hanson.

Sarah was named after 4 generations of women, Ann Raquel, Clarice Ann, Relia Ann and Sarah Ann Bailey.

Now Rebecca is just a little bit different. When looking for a name we joked about JonPaSar. But that didn't work. Then I said I wanted a Book of Mormon name. And the name we decided upon was Rebecca Marie. So I declared that Nephi must have had a sister with the name Rebecca. The other Rebekah is from the Old Testament. She was the wife if Isaac. Do you remember the story of how Isaac selected Rebekah to be his wife?

Now Becca can still look to the scriptures and be reminded of good works.

Since I have given you these names I have found many others worthy of being called after.

No comments: