Thursday, April 20, 2006

Game Day Coordinator


This is Gary Hutton BYU Lacrosse's Game Day Coordinator. I don't know how many of you knew this. I think one year I asked him to help out doing some lacrosse stuff and the next thing I knew Jason Lamb had asked him to do all this extra stuff.
Being the coordinator means that he works at all the BYU Lacrosse games. He coordinates. I don't know much more than that but it's pretty darn important because he got his picture on the official BYU Lacrosse website, wears headphones during the game, gets a KBYU pass he ties to his belt, and he does the half time show.
I think he is the half time show coordinating people out of the stands to shoot the ball from the midfield into the goal. He stands in the goal when people shoot the ball. Don't worry they never get close to hitting him. Being the coordinator is a very safe job.
He coordinates KBYU-TV. He wears big head phones and talks to the people in the KBYU-TV van. One time a KBYU girl asked, "How do you spell half time?" Well, Gary had to coordinate that. He also coordinates the other teams arrival and accomodations on campus.
I think it's awesome all the stuff that my Dad does.
I just wanted everyone to know that.

2 comments:

Gary Hutton said...

Oh, wow, my picture is on the internet. I think I have some Tab. Press the Any key.

Yeah, it started out pretty mild. Jason would want all kinds of things done for a game. I asked him, who did these things before I did. He told me that he had to do them. The biggest thing was getting all the sheets ready for scorekeepers. But now we have software.

BYU supports the Team much better now. There is all kinds of people that do what I had to do. Domineau keeps the score, a secratary does much of the computer work, and does not even go to the games. The TV people was a new challenge. They wanted someone to sit there and give them all the right information for their show. I did not do this very well, but Jason Parker still knows my name.

Then there was the corrdinating of the ball boys. I think this year Jason told all the boys we don't need help. But I got Michael Nelson to help with the the balls, and things.

One year we played the University if Utah. Mason Goodhand is the coach. You know Mormons agains the Catholics. Then after the game Mason had a question, I asked Jason, Jason asked a question, I asked Mason. I was the go between for both coaches. It is any wonder they even speak to each other. It was great because they couldn't hurt me. What could he do fire me. Then who would do all that coordinating?

After one game a visiting coach said, "I can't believe I just heard that from one of the BYU players." Well I did not hear anything, just what this coach said. Later that year, Jason Lamb had enough and told a couple of players they could not come back and play Lacrosse at BYU.

Oh, and the T-Shirts. Some years we don't have many t-shirts to throw out. this year, Jason gave me the combination and said, anything I could find in the cage, could be used at half time for the crowds. Then on the last game Cosmo even showed up and threw a few.

It started out me just wanting to be doing something my boys were involved with. Now it turns out they just want something I am involved in. What am I to do? Especially since my picture is on the Web site.

Gary Hutton said...

I really enjoyed my picture on the top of the BLOG. But now it is time to continue to BLOG.